Welcome

Jenmarie is a bubbly and petite thirty-one year old who loves to laugh and always thinks shopping is a good idea. She has been happily married for nine years to the man of her dreams and loves all things Star Wars & Disney. You've stumbled upon her blog of fashion, beauty and lifestyle where she shares her outfits, reviews, beauty tips, favorite things, and inspirational pick-me-ups. Have a look around and send her a note if you wish!

Satisfy your every cosmetic need with premium beauty product samples delivered to your door every month from Beauty Box 5. Get the box!
Click here for FREE shipping!

The Archives

Recent Post

Get the Look: Reverse French Manicure

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes


I've been loving the reverse French manicure look lately, a trend that I do believe John Galliano managed to start a few seasons ago in one of his collections for Dior. I'm not exceptionally proficient in the art of painting ones own nails, but I thought I would document my first attempt to share with you all. The steps I took were inspired by a tutorial from Alix of The Cherry Blossom Girl.

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes
I used:
- OPI Nail Lacquer in Buy-Buy, Tokyo!
- OPI Nail Lacquer in Alpine Snow
- OPI Natural Nail Base Coat
- Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat
- Paper hole reinforcements

The reinforcements can be found at Target or most likely at your local drug store.

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes
First I applied the base coat and color (Alpine Snow, of course). I actually did this the night before to make sure it would be dry when I applied the stickers. I foresaw a very big mess if I pulled the polish up with the stickers!

Also, you're really supposed to do this technique with medium-length nails, but I have yet to resolve the issue of mine chipping within two days so I'm forced to keep mine short when I want to paint them.

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes
When you're ready to paint your top color, take a sheet of the reinforcement stickers and cut them in half. This isn't necessary - you can use the full sticker if you want to - but it's a thriftier use of them. I, of course, used ten halves.

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes
Apply the stickers to your nails. This is where you can play around. If you want a smaller crescent shape you can move the stickers up or down accordingly. For myself, I applied them so the highest point of the circle cut-out just touched my nail bed.

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes
Apply two coats of your preferred top color! As you can see, I'm not a very clean nail polisher. Of course, I chose to take pictures of my right hand and that one's always the worst. So keep your sense of humor handy, ladies! I always say it's okay if you make mistakes because a little bit of magic known as nail-polish-remover-on-a-Q-Tip can make all the difference.

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes
Let the top coat try completely (I browsed the internet for a bit while I waited) and then gently peel the stickers off. A swipe with the nail polish remover/Q-Tip, a dash of the Sally Hansen top coat and voila!

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes

Reverse French Manicure | Style Through Her Eyes


It's not perfect, but it's just a first try. You can play around with your choice of color, making the possibilities endless. Some people choose not to put a color underneath at all, preferring instead a natural crescent. Marion Cotillard has this technique in one of her Dior advertisements using purple shades that I think is quite pretty. I might try that one sometime in the future.

What do you think? Is this something any of you might try? I hope you'll let us know how it worked out for you. Feel free to share your photos on our Facebook page!

- Casee Marie

12 comments:

Genny said...

I absolutely love this! I'm definitely going to have try it soon! <3

Jenmarie said...

Wow, this is so cute! I want to try it but I'm too afraid right now. I'm not that great at painting my own nails unless it's a real light color (haha!).

You did an amazing job with this tutorial! You and your nails look so pretty!

Closet Fashionista said...

Love it!! I've been meaning to try this...haha
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

modern viking vixen said...

haha i really didnt need more reminder of how much my nails need a fix. looks great!

<3mvv

Heidi said...

Your nails look great! And such great tips! It looks quite easy, and you explained it well. This would even look great with other colors. Great post! :)

simplecupoftea said...

I love a good vintage Gatsby manicure :)

Sharifa said...

Very creative!!..might have to try this. LOVE your blog!

http://sharifaknows.blogspot.com/

Jenni Wells said...

This is such a lovely idea! You are the first person I have seen with this look. I love it!!


jenniwells.blogspot.com

Anna Liesemeyer said...

ooo loving it!! Need to try this with a fun coral shade.

jamie-lee said...

I love how easy it is to do this, thinking about trying it soon...

Gabrielle said...

I like this idea! Maybe I'll do two tones of the same color, like you mentioned the purples on Marion. :D

And don't worry, I believe everyone who is right-handed always does the worst when painting those nails. haha

Sweet said...

wow...I knew about this through your tweet and haven't check it at all...it is so fun to try new things right...

Kisses
Sweet
PensandLens

Subscribe


Your Favorites

Communities



DMCA.com

Site Meter