Welcome

Jenmarie is a bubbly and petite thirty-one year old who loves to laugh and always thinks shopping is a good idea. She has been happily married for eight years to the man of her dreams and loves all things Star Wars & Disney. You've stumbled upon her blog of fashion, beauty and lifestyle where she shares her outfits, reviews, beauty tips, favorite things, and inspirational pick-me-ups. Have a look around and send her a note if you wish!

Satisfy your every cosmetic need with premium beauty product samples delivered to your door every month from Beauty Box 5. Get the box!
Click here for FREE shipping!

The Archives

Strike a Pose!


Whether you post outfit photos on your blog every day or once a week it can be frustrating to constantly pose the same way every time. Smiling with one hand on your hip and the other relaxed on your side carrying one of your favorite bags is classic and most everyone likes it. It's an easy way to say "I'm cute, and so is my outfit." However, repetitiveness is not my thing and lately I've been challenging myself to come up with at least a couple new poses each time I'm preparing an outfit post. My husband (who happens to be my photographer) also comes up with some of the poses you've seen and is there to let me know if I need to move my head this way or adjust my hand a little. It's great having someone to help you achieve great shots and I would definitely recommend talking to your photographer if you haven't already.

For inspiration I browse through photos of models in magazines and scans on the web as often as I can. One of my favorite models is Coco Rocha. She comes up with such unique poses and facial expressions and works as fast as a flip book! I love that she's quirky and elegant at the same time and from the videos I have seen it seems that she has a blast being a model. I also try and work with my environment and connect with the clothing and accessories I am wearing. I find that various emotions and ideas come with different pieces I'm wearing and the atmosphere around me. Let your imagination do it's thing and move with it like you're dancing to your favorite music. And always remember that you're modeling (yes, you're a model! How about that!) what you're wearing and every pose that you make should compliment the pieces and make them look exciting and interesting. Don't be discouraged if the photos don't turn out so great. It's ok! Accept it as a learning experience and be proud that you allowed yourself to be creative!

If you're looking to work on your own poses, here's a little jump-start of inspiration for your next outfit post!


Karen Elson, Vogue UK - October 2008
Liu Wen, Vogue China - April 2011


Coco Rocha, Vogue Spain - January 2009
Mia Wasikowska, Blackbook - April 2011


Raquel Zimmerman, Vogue UK - November 2010
Zen Sevastyanova, Blank #55 - October 2010


Devon Aoki, Elle US - February 2011
Anne Seleznevat, Numero Tokyo #44 - March 2011

Go get 'em ladies! I'd love to see what you come up with!

All images from Faking Fashion & CocoRochaFan.net

-Jenmarie

 

12 comments:

Closet Fashionista said...

Haha...yea...I really need to work on my posing, its probably very boring
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Casee Marie said...

I love that you put so much thought into your outfit posts - and I completely agree, it's important that your outfit becomes the focal point because that's really why we're doing it, right? I've seen a lot of bloggers do outfit posts with half a dozen pictures but when I reach the bottom of the page I feel like I have nothing tangible to hold on to because they didn't really give me the outfit. It's one thing if a blogger is trying to approach the pictures from a photographic standpoint, something I do more often than anything: that's when it becomes about the picture, but when you're doing an outfit post it's really about the clothes, you know? When someone is doing an outfit post and their focus is clearly on something other than the clothes or hair or even makeup...it just doesn't make as much sense to me.

But anyway. Probably one of the biggest reasons outfit posts are so scarce from me is that I can't pose. I don't know if it's a matter of inhibition or a lack of inclination, but I feel ridiculous and most often the pictures get deleted before they even make it to my computer. I don't typically look to models for inspiration because so often I feel like their poses really utilize their long limbs or skinniness - which is fine, because if they're skinny they might as well work with it, right? But for a bigger build I feel like it won't always work. Maybe that's the wrong way of thinking, or maybe I should pay more attention to plus size models (I always hate that there's really no middle of the road there; plus size models have more to work with than I do and straight size models have so much less, haha.) But for example, that last shot of Anne, I love how it brings all the colors so close together but I don't think I could even get myself into that position. I wouldn't dare document it, at any rate!

Sorry, I'm rambling. Just trying to give my thoughts, and apparently I have a lot of them? Great post, Jen! xo

made-to-travel.com said...

Oh Casee Marie's point is totally fantastic. She kind of said everything I wanted to say.

It's really hard to do outfit posts...I do them but am constantly working on doing them better. A helpful tip for me is practicing in the mirror before I pose for my camera. I look at the shapes the clothes make and how I feel about the way I look in the pose and the replicate the pose in front of the camera.

I also don't really look to model poses, I am quite short and not as slim so a lot of their poses would not work on me I think. But I'll try and see how it works out.

Thanks for this post Jen!! I totally agree that outfit should be made the focus and I love how thoughtful you are here as well.

Kirstin@CrimsonRosella said...

I love Casee's point! It is so true, it has to be about the clothes! I hate when people pose a little too much and then it just becomes about them wanting to be a model haha.

TheBeautyFile said...

People totally underestimate how much work it is to do outfit posts...I never ever do them, but have a ton of respect for everyone who does!!

Heidi said...

Oh I love trying new poses but I can never do a serious face! haha I always have to do a smile- for some reason I can't come across as serious with no smile. I think that is a good thing...because that means I am always positive!

Fashion Tales.... said...

I just recently started getting into outfit posts, and I agree it has to be about the clothing, which is why I usually have boring backgrounds! lol

The Blushing Fox said...

Great post dear, i like it so much!!! It looks so so dainty <3

xoxo,

www.theblushingfox.com

Sweet said...

you totally hit the mark Jen...sometimes I get so frustrated doing the same pose over and over again and just imagine the eyes looking at me when I do something different...I try to make it a little bit discreet but sadly I can't but I will take note of these poses...

Kisses
Sweet
PensandLens
@mistytewest

the Citizen Rosebud said...

JenMarie this is perfect timing! I was just giving some posing tips to a fellow blogger! I take my own photos, and find it important to move past the tried and true and be willing to look foolish in front of the lens. Some of my best shots come from a session with me goofing it up.

modanistajunkie.com said...

I agree!! It's tough finding ways to properly post and capture good photos!!

p.s. I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog :)

xoxo,
Mel

makeupandjeans.com said...

Thank you for this! I've really needed some inspiration and ideas for posing. My have been lacking... It is so much harder with a self timer too.

Subscribe


Your Favorites

Communities



DMCA.com

Site Meter