Welcome

Jenmarie is a bubbly and petite thirty-one year old who loves to laugh and always thinks shopping is a good idea. She has been happily married for nine years to the man of her dreams and loves all things Star Wars & Disney. You've stumbled upon her blog of fashion, beauty and lifestyle where she shares her outfits, reviews, beauty tips, favorite things, and inspirational pick-me-ups. Have a look around and send her a note if you wish!

Satisfy your every cosmetic need with premium beauty product samples delivered to your door every month from Beauty Box 5. Get the box!
Click here for FREE shipping!

The Archives

Recent Post

Blogging Strengths


What’s your blogging strength? Is it writing and editing, expertise in doing outfit posts, or perhaps the originality of your content? Many of us aren’t equally good at everything it takes to run a blog but luckily we are blessed to be surrounded by so many other bloggers with different talents which leaves us constantly inspired to strive to be better at what we do.

Writing is definitely not my strength and while I don’t expect to ever use words the way people like Casee Marie or B do I know that the more I write the better I’ll get. Practice makes perfect, right? Does it frustrate me that I can’t write as well as other bloggers do? Sometimes. Is it something I feel that I need to be able to do in order to have a more successful blog? Not really. There are many blogs out there who focus more on the visual aspect of their posts with very minimal writing and some of them happen to be very well known. I do think it’s important to have good grammar and make whatever you write engaging but while I’m no expert at it I still have a voice in the blogosphere and I can use the talents I do have to communicate to our readers. I think it all comes down to using the gifts we each have and to be ourselves in everything we do including blogging and not try to be like other people. We are all unique and so our blogs deserve to be original.

Take a minute or two to sit back and reflect on your own blog. What do you feel is your blogging strength? What areas in blogging would you like to work on?

-Jenmarie

12 comments:

Heidi said...

This is a great post, Jen!

I feel that writing is certainly my strongest point, but what I struggle with is determining whether I have written ENOUGH, or if my points are well researched enough, when mostly I'm just writing from experience so it doesn't really matter so much. My lack of confidence in my ability to write well sometimes ends with me mistaking quantity for quality. But I'm gradually beginning to realise that whether or not my blog is a literary masterpiece, it's a little wonderland of my own experiences and thoughts, and what can be better than that?

Here's to us bloggers, to finding our own special voice. XO

made-to-travel.com said...

Jenmarie, I would like to hug you.

I'm not really positive how to answer this actually.

I do believe the things I like will be liked by others or at least be found interesting by others. So maybe my strength is my taste.

But I think what makes me a good blogger stems from my practices in real life. I'm really quick to forward and comment and text and email when I am thinking of someone or happen on something I think is super cool and my blog is really an extension of this plus highlighting some ethical shopping practices.

Heidi said...

I think my biggest strength is finding looks for less. When I started my blog the recession was at it's highest. Still today people are looking for a bargain and I am happy to show people that you still can look fashionable on a budget.
I think my weakness is my outfit posts. I think I come up with great outfits but I am no model and I don't do many great "poses". If I only had the confidence to! haha :)

I think you write just fine! ;) I pay attention to more of the visual posts anyways as I learn more visually than through the written word. With practice It definitely gets better. My boyfriend has said my writing has definitely improved since I started my blog. :)

Gabrielle said...

I think my biggest strength is my writing, though sometimes I feel like what I'm writing about isn't interesting enough...or exactly what I want to share. You know? I gotta work on finding my voice.

Casee Marie said...

I absolutely agree, all blogs should be catered around the special strengths of the bloggers behind them. That seems to be the key to getting the most joy out of blogging.

I'd say my strength is writing (thanks for the shout-out, by the way!) but I think in my case it's an interest I decided to try to shape my blog around. I never thought there was a place for me because I didn't have the visual element to go with my writing so it was nice to discover that there is an audience for editorial style blogs! And I'm certainly not an expert - I always laugh when people compliment my writing because I was never formally educated on it. Practice does help! My sister had a dance teacher that said, "Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent." It's very true, the more you do something, the more naturally it comes to you.

Anyway, I have a laundry list of things I want to work on. I definitely want to put more effort into the content behind my writing and bring in more visual content. I also feel like my location is a hurdle - I love living in the country but it keeps you somewhat disconnected from things when you don't really have a big city nearby. Obviously that will be changing at some point soon so I'm hoping wherever I end up I'll be able to use the location more. But mostly content is my focus. I actually just decided that after my next book review I won't take on any more of those, or other partnerships, for the rest of the summer so I can explore my original content.

And I realize this comment has turned into a novel so I'll stop now. Excellent post, Jen! I loved reading everyone's comments.

Sweet said...

I do agree with you Jen...I do not also write like other bloggers...but I have seen the improvement in comparison with my previous blogs...and blogging has made me learn so many things...like making sites doing social media and more...I think the most important thing is learning everyday...

Kisses
Sweet
PensandLens
@mistytewest

FashionJazz said...

What a really interesting post, I have never really thought about what my strong points are with regards to blogging, I think I would have to go with visual content. I enjoyed reading everyone elses comments too : ) xx

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Jenmarie, I love this post because you remind us to focus on what we have to offer and not on any real or imagined lack. xo.

GRIT AND GLAMOUR said...

My strength is definitely writing. I think my visuals have come a long way, but at the moment I really need a new camera and lens, and there is only so much you can do when you are your own photographer. But it's something I'm really trying to work on over the rest of the year!

kia said...

i'm still looking for my blogging strength! x

Hallie said...

Hi lady! I just came across your blog (and this post) through Links a la Mode on IFB this week -- love it, you have so much interesting content!

I'm still searching for my biggest blogger strength - I'm fairly new! This post was very insightful, thanks ladies.

- Hallie :)
coralsandcognacs.blogspot.com

M said...

I'd say writing is definitely my strength. And yet when I look at bloggers who have very little content with tons of striking visuals, I feel a bit jealous. So it's interesting to see comments of those who want to better their writing skills. Ideally, it'd be great to have both but I don't consider myself a photographer by any means. It is nice to know that some people still like to actually read :)

Subscribe


Your Favorites

Communities



DMCA.com

Site Meter